Bilingual Literacy and Literature
Time: Asynchronous with no face-to-face meetings
Who Should Enroll?
The course is designed for any K - 12 educators interested in deepening their understanding about the foundations of language education in the United States.
This course is designed to provide pre- and in-service practitioners exposure to contemporary issues, perspectives, and approaches for literacy instruction in bilingual education settings. These bilingual education settings include transitional and dual language bilingual education programs, and we will explore literacy instruction as it pertains within and across these different program models. At its core, the course is designed to model the types of instructional approaches it espouses. The course will be delivered bilingually, in Spanish and English. As such, the language of instruction of the course, as well as expectations for participation, are fluid and variable. The course targets a range of literacy related topics all designed to orient the bilingual educator toward bilingual literacy instruction in contemporary bilingual education contexts.
After participating in this course, educators will:
- have a sense of the long history of language education dating to the inception of the U.S.
- understand the legal precedents for current language education programming
- make connections to how equity and power are implicated in all language programming
- be able to walk into any school that serves multilingual students and make sense of the type of language programming that is in place
- have the basic foundations of history and politics to move forward into deeper explorations of bilingual theory, research, and methods of instruction
Certification of Completion:
Please note that all participants from outside Boston College will not receive academic credit nor a transcript documenting their participation in this workshop series. However, all participants will be awarded a certificate of completion and Professional Development points to apply to their professional development plans.
Fees and Policies:
Payment is due by credit card at registration. Tuition includes all instructional materials.
Refunds will only be granted up until the course begins. No refunds will be granted for registration or technical errors on the participant's part (such as incorrect name/email, login failure, etc.).
Additional offerings from the Lynch School Professional & Continuing Education Office can be found on our website.